Debbie Says...Cheers to Christmas
Wow where has the year gone?! Christmas is nearly here! (eeek)
I really love Christmas —there“s so much about it that I enjoy….
Lots of great TV — Christmas is the perfect time to curl up in front of the TV with a hot drink and watch your favourite Christmas Movie.
Elf is my all-time favourite Christmas film – how can you not love a movie that contains this great line from Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) "I just like to smile; smiling's my favourite."
Shakin’ Stevens – Merry Christmas Everyone – This has been my all-time favourite Christmas song for as long as I can remember, it’s such a feel good song that instantly makes me smile. What’s your favourite?
My Favourite Christmas Food — My favourite Christmas Food is Chocolate Yule Log but I“m also partial to Christmas Rocky Road too. Here is our very own M.D. Sally’s recipe — its a great one to make with your children.
1 large or 2 small bar(s) of dark chocolate
1 small bar of milk chocolate
A good sized chunk of soft butter
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 packet of Rich Tea biscuits
Handful of red glace cherries
Handful of mini marshmallows
1 tablespoon icing sugar
Edible glitter – optional
- Chop both sorts of chocolate small, or use chocolate buttons made for melting, and then put into a heavy-based pan to melt with the butter and syrup over a gentle heat.
- Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin to get big- and little-sized crumbs; you want some pieces to crunch and some sandy rubble.
- Take the pan off the heat, and add the crushed biscuits and nuts, whole glacé cherries and mini-marshmallows. Turn carefully to coat everything with syrupy chocolate.
- Tip into a foil tray (I use one 236mm x 296mm / 9¼ x 12 inches), smoothing the top as best you can, although it will look bumpy.
- Refrigerate until firm enough to cut, which will take about 1½–2 hours.
- Take the set block of rocky road out of the foil tray ready to cut.
- Push the icing sugar through a small sieve to dust the top of the Rocky Road. Then, if you like, add a sprinkling of edible glitter for some festive sparkle.
- Decorate with plastic reindeer or snowmen.
- With the long side in front of you, cut into it 6 slices down and 4 across, so that you have 24 almost-squares.
Mmm! Yummy -- Enjoy!
But wait...there“s more!
I love Christmas Lights: Walking around and seeing all the pretty lights can make anyone smile. Everything just glistens more during December.
If you have a car make sure that you get involved with the La Fraternelle Light Up Guernsey Competition
Simply follow the Digimap guide to the 21 houses that have entered this year, at each location you will find a Light Up Guernsey sign displayed with a unique entry number, then email your favourite entry no. to [email protected]
Time of giving: The festive time brings out the best in others, it is important to make sure that we remember those who are less fortunate, which we have done here at Sarnia Mutual. We have donated food to The Guernsey Welfare and the GSPCA.
December Cheer: The entire festive season brings a little extra bounce in your step, a smile to your face, and a sense of all around happiness. It is such an amazing time of the year… My favourite in fact :-)
Christmas Jumpers: Any excuse to wear a Christmas jumper! It“s always acceptable in December.
No one can tell me they don’t secretly love wearing them — and, in my opinion if they do, they are lying :-)
And finally all-time favourite Christmas quote is from A Charlie Brown Christmas
“It’s not what’s under the Christmas tree that matters its who’s around it”
Merry Christmas Everyone, and a Happy New Year!
Love Debbie x